The Dardanelle and Russellville Railroad (D&R) operates on 4.8 miles of rail in Russellville, AR. It began operation in August of 1883 when it mainly hauled cotton and other agriculture products until 1900 when it shifted to mostly coal. The railroad carried coal until the 1950s when the last underground mines of McAlester Fuel Company were closed. Arkansas Shortline Railroad worked with the city leaders and bought the D&R in 1988 when the railroad was in severe financial difficulties. Within the first year, carloads increased by 282% and over 600 jobs directly connected to the railroad were saved from relocation. Currently the D&R offers full service transload in the yard for the companies Potlach-Deltic, AnPro (Division of the Mars Company), Denali, PolyQuest, and Gator Joist. They also place cars for the companies Stella Jones, West Fraser, Cunningham Metals, and Pet Solutions. The D&R also provides rail scales for their customers and interchange with the Union Pacific. Also, the D&R has land and buildings for industrial prospects.
Russellville Chamber of Commerce- https://www.russellvillechamber.com/
River Valley Economic Development- https://www.russellvillechamber.com/alliance/
Union Pacific- https://www.up.com/index.htm